Wednesday 25 March 2009

Please Mr Postman

And so our case is officially at the NVC, I called their special hotline and the (irritatingly drawn out - but oh so useful) automated message system (603 334-0700) confirmed it and even gave me our new NVC case number. It's very straightforward but seems to be busy for a lot of the time.

The next step is, apparently, when I receive a DS-3032 through the mail, although it seems that Foofer should receive a copy of that form too (though I'm not exactly sure why). This is the point where the process splits into two and can get complicated:

The DS-3032 asks me to nominate an agent to represent me. Often this could be an attorney or a family friend or even myself but, as payments are needed from a US bank account (which I obviously don't have as you need a social security number to open one) and we haven't relied on anyone else yet, we decided that Foofer would be my agent.

While I'm busy nominating my agent, Foofer will get a request (for money followed by another) for her tax history (I-864) to prove that she can support me if I were to be unable to find gainful employment. If that's acceptable than that would normally be her efforts completed - but as she's my agent she'll have a few more tasks.

It appears that I have to pay a fee too (or maybe two fees? I'll let you know if/when it happens) and then I'll receive the infamous DS-230 form (biographical information).

But for now, I'm waiting at the door for my DS-3032, checking my mail every day. Hoping that, today, the postman will make me smile...