Monday 12 January 2009

Foofer's first post

The I-130 form (along with a whole lot of other information) is on it's way to the USCIS!

The frustrating thing about this process is the lack of information on the USCIS instructions and the mis-information on the web. The link Vlad provided below has a lot of good info, although, while it says to use ACCO fasteners on your documents, this link from the USCIS website says do not use ACCO fasteners. (And, the instructions from the USCIS for the I-130 form give you no clue as to exactly how you should put your documents together).

Here's how I put the package together:

I did a cover letter (from a template found here). I put a cover sheet (in a color other than white so it would be easy for the person going through it to find each thing) in front of every item explaining what it was: "FORM I-130", etc. I fastened the check for the I-130 filing fee to the I-130 form with a paper clip. I put everything in the same order as it was listed on the cover letter. I fastened it all together with a binder clip and put it all in a large envelope and sent it Priority Mail.

I put together a binder filled with clear sheet protectors and I am keeping copies of everything I sent (and will send in the future - sadly, this is just step one) in there. I like the sheet protectors because I can page through all the documents if I need to refer back to something without putting holes in the paperwork. It also makes it easy to store oddly shaped stuff like the "passport style" photos.

I now plan on collapsing. This is tiring work. But - Vlad is well worth the bother.