Saturday 11 July 2009

The Package...

...is a dark blue plastic bag, about A3 size, with one of the stickers from my interview letter stuck in the top right-hand corner. Below it, an address sticker (including my contact phone number).

Okay, I'm opening it...

Contents:
  • Passport (a cursory glance shows the big "Welcome" sticker (from the set stuck to my interview letter) on the front of it)
  • "Important Information" Letter (it's the same one that I received from the first (British) guy at the Embassy)
  • Large Envelope (With a sheet of paper stapled to the back of it)
Okay, now we look a little closer.

The passport has something that looks a lot like this in it:
Okay, mine has a few differences, especially the fact that I'm a man (with a beard) but this is a (sufficiently blurry) example from the interwebs to be a decent illustration.

It's a (very impressive and official-looking) sticker a few pages in and it's, technically, only half of my visa.

The other half is the large envelope.
On the front it has the following:

IMPORTANT NOTICE

To be opened only by the United States Immigration or Public Health Service Officer.

This is your Visa. It must be surrendered to the United States Immigration Officer at Port of Entry into the United States.

Do not pack it - it must be hand carried.

On the back of the envelope is an "Immigrant Data Summary (this is not a visa)" sheet with lots of lovely biographical data about me on it. There is even a picture of me as well as room for a barcode and an admission stamp.

The "Important Information" Letter has details about not opening the envelope, the Green Card, conditional statuses (as I have a CR-1 visa), paying taxes (eek!) and the SSN.